So far this year, we've barbecued twice, celebrated our holidays together, participated in leadership speaker series events, supported Jordanian films, and went to the Air & Space Museum together! We are fortunate to be part of our DMV community the way we are, but there are others that have unfortunate circumstances and often go hungry!
As part of JAADC's declared mission to be a philanthropic platform, we are delighted to announce a volunteering experience with the Capital Area Food Bank [CAFB], which is the largest organization in the Washington metro area working to solve hunger and its companion problems. CAFB is helping 540,000 people each year get access to good, healthy food. That’s 12% of our region’s mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, and grandparents!
What better time to volunteer than the season for Thanksgiving! We have selected the afternoon of Saturday November 18th for JAADC to volunteer our time at their warehouse.
Details are below:
• When: Saturday November 18th; from 1pm to 4pm
• Where: Capital Area Food Bank (4900 Puerto Rico Avenue NE Washington, DC 20007)
• What will we be doing:
• The project typically involves packing and/or sorting donated food
• It also can include packing for CAFB programs and assisting with various other tasks at the food bank
• All of these tasks are considered light/medium labor and typically involves standing up for up to three hours and lifting up to 35 pounds
• Activities will take place in either their Food Donations Room or Repack Room and the temperatures can fluctuate, so please dress for the weather and wear closed-toe shoes
• Other notes:
• Minimum age to volunteer is 12 years old
• Any youth under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
• Once confirmed, individuals will be asked to sign a waiver